Well its finally here the close of 2016. Its amazing how fast time flies once we enter adulthood. I feel like just yesterday I was writting the blog post for my 2016 Goals and Dreams and discussing the new journey of the “Year of Ironman”. I am so thankful for 2016 it has brought me so much success and happiness but also some hard times. 2016 Tested my Strength mentally, emotionally, and physically. While I am sad to see if go I am happy to move forward into the future and see what 2017 holds. Here is some highlights from my 2016 Journey!
- RnR Arizona with Jennifer (@JBirdRuns) and my first half PR of 2016 of 1:41:41. This was the first time I got to spend time with my bestie in person. This race was HARD for me. I was so sick but I felt like I needed to push since Jennifer had flown all this way to race and see me. This was the race where I realized I can push my body beyond my mind wanting to quit and was the start of something special.
- Started Triathlon Training and had my first outdoor ride of 18 Miles at 13 mph! I was so proud of myself but realized right then and there this was going to be a LONG journey to Ironman.
- Full January Recap Located HERE.
- Runner Den 10K and a PR of 46:16 (7:28 min/mi)
- Phoenix Half Marathon PR and Breaking 1:40 with 1:38:42 !!! I didn’t know I could do this and I questioned my ability. I wanted Sub 1:40 BAD but after RnRAz I just didn’t know if it was in the cards for me. I ran this race smart and steady and ended up with a negative split – First 6.5 at 7:35 and Second 6.5 at 7:30!
- I forgot to do a Full Recap in February I think because I traveled to Florida right at the Phoenix Half and Went to Disney! 🙂
- Trip home to Florida for Adam’s last Spring Break of Dental School. We ended up having a sudden loss of Adam’s grandfather and going home for the funeral instead. It was a hard time for our families as he was a great man but also lived a long life of 95 years. I also enjoyed my nephew’s company on the trip at my favorite place on earth “Walt Disney World”
- Made it to 46 Miles at 14.5 mph – I remember this and it was a BIG deal when it happened. I also Swam 4000 yards straight 1:58/100yd.
- Full March Recap HERE.
- First Olympic Triathlon. I did this during peak week for Marathon Training and was super happy with how it went. It was a pool swim which was different compared to traditional triathlons but I felt like it got me some good transition practice and well as a good idea for the flow of triathlons.
- Completed my longest ever training runs for a marathon at 22 and 22.5 miles!
- April Recap HERE.
- Marathon PR at Revel Mount Charleston in 3:16:06 and 2nd in my AG! I was super suprised and excited about this PR to be honest I am still in awe of how I actually did that. I was totally unexpected as I was in my lowest weekly mileage for marathon training, running the least amount of days, with the least amount of speedwork so I was pretty excited. I also got to host with my first WeRunSocial Meetup with @RunnerWithSD and I was super humbled to be asked and felt like I had finally made in the instarunning world lol!
- Just 2 short weeks after the marathon I made a quick decision to do the Tempe Interntional Triathlon. I obviously knew my body was not in A+ shape but the swim was going to be wetsuit legal and I had not done an open water swim or used my wetsuit previously so I figured it would be good practice for both the swims and transitions even if it wasn’t a PR.
- My husband and I celebrated our 2 year wedding anniversary the following week after the triathlon ( we left that Tuesday) in Mexico at an All Inclusive Resort! It was AMAZING!
- I started Run and Nutrition Coaching in this Month! It has been a pretty amazing
- May Recap HERE.
- Athletically I completed my First Three-Quarter Century Ride – I was super excited about this. This was also the month I almost pulled out my half and full ironman. I realized 6 months into training that IMLou had close to 5,000 ft Elevation gain and ALOT of hills. At this point I was averaging 14 mph on pancake flat Arizona Trails. I figured I was going to DNF the bike so why even try and literally had a melt down which my husband talked me out of. And you all know now I continued on my Ironman Journey! haha
- My husband graduated from Dental School, I finished up my final month at my first job as a Physician Assistant, Got my Dream Job in the ED in Ohio and we were closing a big chapter in our lives which to be honest I wasn’t quite ready for.
- June Recap HERE.
- First Half Ironman at Ironman Muncie 70.3 and Sub-6 with a time of 5:48! I can pretty much tell you this is the moment where everything changed for me in Ironman. I finally felt like I had a chance a shot and I could finally maybe do this thing!
- Moved Across the country for the second time form Arizona to Ohio with my mom then finished it up solo until my husband arrived from officer training at the end of the month. I seriously learned just how self sufficient I could be alone in this time. I made new friends, joined new clubs, put together an Ikea Couch and BedFrame by myself! Big Things lol!
- July Recap HERE.
- August was BIG month for Ironman Training and when I hit my peak mileage. I did my first century ride and also did my first Ironman Distance Swim Straight. I felt like I was finally getting there I was going to be an Ironman!
- This is also when I finally started my ED Job and was beginning to get settled in Ohio.
- August Recap HERE.
- Got 2 More Century Rides under my Belt for Ironman.
- Ash finally joined the Ohio Party and I seriously could not have asked for a better friendship not with just Ash but also with her husband Mat and her beautiful two children. It is like having a second family.
- I turned 28 and celebrate with Ash with a 28K Run, 28 Mile Bike and 2800m Swim
- My First Client and Giveaway Winner got a PR in the Marathon by 12 Minutes! You can read her story HERE.
- 5K PR at the Beavercreek Popcorn Festival of 22:15
- 10K Overall Win at the Applefest 10K and dead matched my PR of 46:16 on a much hiller course
- September Recap HERE.
- “KINDAL YOU ARE AN IRONMAN” is about the biggest highlight of the year and month! Finish Time 11:51:00 and I seriously am still in awe. It was a dream which at times I never thought would become a reality! Recap HERE.
- I also PRd my 5K with 22:06 one week before Ironman
- I got to see the season’s change for the first time to Fall and it was beautiful.
- PRd my 15K at 1:11:00 and my 10K at 45:40!
- My big race was the Thankgiving 10 Miler in Florida. I had something to prove to myself as it was my last race before my injury 2 years ago and I completed it in 1:45 (10:30 min/mi) and this year I did in 1:13:57 a 32 Min PR and 1st Place AG and 3rd Overall Female!
- I also unfortanutely lost my Uncle Suddenly during this month. I actually got the news during my 15K on my bluetooth headset at Mile 7. To say it through me for a loop was an understatement. Needless to say I also spent a good part of my month in Florida for the death in the family as well as holiday.
- Novemeber Recap HERE.
- Highlight would most definitely be my PR at the Tuscon Half Marathon with Ash of 1:35:18!!! This was 100% her idea and as usual she dream bigger than I am capable of. I am very thankful for our friendship and the time we got to spend on a girls trip to Arizona. The sunshine was definitely due for these 2 sun lovers because it sure is lacking in Ohio.
- Speaking of Ohio I got to see my First Snow Fall and it was magical. I braved temps running I had never even felt walking. I did my first snows runs and used my first face gaitor! I feel like I am learning to embrace the less than ideal running conditions which I used to treadmill through lol.
- Hosted my First Christmas with Ash and her family as well as my in-laws and brother in law. It was magical and I feel like I did a pretty darn good job!
- December Miles (Since I didnt make a Formal Post)
- Run: 157 // 21:48 (8:20 min/mi)
- Cycle: 92.4 // 6:05
- Swim: 9.23 Miles // 5:11 (1:55/100yd average)
- Strength: 5:50
- Total: 258.63 Miles // 38:54
Year End Mileage:
- Run: 1776 Miles // 255:26 (8:37 min/mi average)
- Bike: 3584 Miles // 238:12 (15 mph average)
- Swim: 143.6 Miles // 77:33 (1:50/100yd average)
- Strength: 74:34
- Total: 5,503.6 Miles // 645:45
Well its been one heck of a 2016 year for me especially when you break it down. I am sad to see all these accomplishments pass but also excited for the 2017 Future and of course the Boston Marathon! 2017 Goals to Follow!!!! 🙂
❤ Kindal (RunningWithStrength)