Happy Sunday! For some its always “Sunday RunDay” but for me its always been “Sunday RestDay” and I found my latest recovery tool to make Sunday’s even more effective for my training! Introducing the Roll Recovery – R8 Roller and Stretch Mat….
Many of you have seen the R8 Roller running around instagram and when I got the chance to work with Adi Nelson professional runner and co-founder of Roll Recovery with her husband Jeremy Nelson I could not pass the up the opportunity. First off she is a complete doll and second off I have had my eye on the product for many many months but just hadn’t bought the bullet to make the purchase.
Adi was nice enough to send me both the R8 Roller and the New Stretch Mat which is awesome because I am constantly needing to roll in various locations and don’t really love sitting on a possibly very dirty floor or ground! So lets get to the review…
First up is the R8 Roller – Basically the Grand Daddy of Rollers!
- Concept: The R8 Roller was created for a compact and convient way for athletes to “foam roll”. The goals were to create a deep tissue massage product for myofasical release in order to reduce inflammation, break up adhesions, and stimulate blood circulation. Additionally they made the product compact so it was portable for athletes traveling for races and endurance activities.
- Targeted Muscles: The product self adjusts to different leg sizes to target quads, hamstrings, ITB, glutes, calves, shins, hip flexors, hamstrings, adductors, etc.
- “Roll Down Flush”: Start proximally with largers muscle groups (Quads/Hamstrings /glutes) and gradually use the R8 rolling until you feel the muscle loosening and increased blood flow continue the process down to to your calves and shins only massaging soft tissue and avoiding kness, shins, and direct bone rolling.
- “Point Release”: for those pesky knots and adhesions slowly work the R8 over the spot and pause directly and gradually increase massage speed and force as you feel the spots loosen up.
- Things I LOVED:
- Compact Design. I loved that is comes in a compact bag and is small and light enough to fit into a carry on suitcase and eliminate the hassel of trying to fit a foam roller into your carry-on (yes I did that – see my instagram from Mexico)
- The Product Does the Work. Lets just say as much as I love my foam roller I sometimes get really lazy after a long day of workouts and work and the last thing I want to do is work on a foam roller. The R8 does all the work for you. You can sit in bed and basically just roll it up and down your legs and takes minimal effort but you get maximal results. Less work, same result = HUGE benefit.
- Targeted Muscle Group Work. Sometimes with the foam roller I feel like I need to work and adjust multiple times to get the “exact” spot worked with the R8 you can target those adhesions and really focus on those problem areas just like a deep tissue or active release therapy treatment.
- Overall: Overall I would 100% recommend the R8 product for your next roller. The cost is $119 dollars and even though it seems high the product is top notch quality and is well worth every penny. Athletes I feel this would really benefit is the “busy” athletes with kids, works, life, etc. trying to fit in the “extra stuff” that just seem to not get done the roller is an easy thing to use sporadically and quickly throughout the day without any mess or fuss. Atheltes who also travel alot either in the car/plane would benefit as it is compact and light and can fit in a car or suitcase so after a long race while driving home or waiting on your flight you can use the foller in the airport or passenger seat and lessen those post race PR DOMs we are know and love! 😉
Second up is the Roll Recovery Stretch Mat
- Concept: The StretchMat was specifically designed with the athlete in mind. The larger shape, soft-touch surface and 4mm of padding provides the surface area and sweat proof design every athlete needs to get down to business with stretching and pre/post workout rituals
- Details: 130 cm x 130 cm Polyester soft touch surface with 4mm high dense foam core and nonslip bottom for indoor and outdoor use. Additionally it has an easy fold up design into a compact square that can fit easily in your “check bag” or “suitcase” for a place to roll on the go whether in an airport or a local park.
- Things I Loved:
- Compact Design. Once again this is HUGE seller for me. I love compact designs that I can carry around with me to multiple places. I can 100% see me carrying the mat and roller in my post race bag to roll out those post race problem areas before leaving a race for breakfast and/or home and airport
- Quality: The mat is very high quality and durable. I love the thickness of the mat so even when I was using it on my hardwood floors and back porch it did not feel like I was “sitting on the ground” and did not slip around as I moved and rolled.
- Design: I love the athletic design of the mat and the shape. I feel like it gives you enough room to really relax and stretch without being confined to a typical mat shape of a elongated rectangle.
- Overall: If you are a runner on the go this mat is the one for you. I can definitely see me using the mat to sit and stretch at the local running store after my long runs and also on the grass lawns after a hard half or full marathon. This mat can also be used for everyday activities from a picnic at the park to yoga and the cost is $49.
For more information on Roll Recovery and the R8 Roller and StretchMat head over to RollRecovery.com to check out their products. They also have an amazing foot roller “The R3” for those runners and athletes who suffer from plantar fascitis! Trust me you will not be disappointed!
Hope you all have a wonderful and restful Sunday and Happy Training!
With Love and Recovery Products and Essentials,
❤ Kindal (RunningWithStrength)